Linen is a natural fibre, made from the stalk of the flax plant. Here in Europe we regard it as the most natural, the most strongest and best quality fabric you can get your hands on, next to hemp. In Europe we consider linen as an heirloom and linen sheets will be passed on to the next generation. So to me, as a Dutch girl, it’s my favorite fabric to work with, besides that it is extremely durable and eco friendly.
Linen is very soft and it will actually softener with aging, it has a beautiful look and feel to it. It’s much stronger than cotton and linen itself, organic or non organic, is eco friendlier than cotton ever was. Pure Prana Label likes to tribute to eco friendly alternatives and has fallen head over heels with this eco friendly fabric.
Standard flax linen (non organic) is already grown eco friendly, the flax plant asks for little to no chemicals to grow, actually the flax plant doesn’t thrive with a lot of chemicals. Flax grows rapidly, needs no water irrigation, is fully usable and completely biodegradable.
The chemical insecticides and herbicides that have been used previously for the flax are no longer allowed and… unnecessary, making linen one of the most sustainable textiles known by man.
Organically grown flax linen is the new revolution flax linen, these flax fabrics are labeled GOTS certified, grown ecofriendly, but also processed without chemicals and caring for all people in the process. GOTS certified linen is rare, but I am always on the look out!
Next to GOTS certifified fabrics, there are Okoe Tex certified linen fabrics and linen fabrics washed with enzymes and I use them a lot in my collection! These certifications can also guarantee that your item is free of chemicals.
All together… this is why I am so excited about linen and why linen is such a wonderful fabric for your cushion!
• Linen is very durable and strong, if taken good care of the fabric it will be in good quality for decades.
• Linen is hypoallergenic.
• Linen is warm in winter, cool in summer.
• Linen is antibacterial and antistatic, due to his flax and natural background.
• Flax Linen is a renewable resource, it’s completely biodegradable.
• It’s breathable, the unique structure of the fiber allows air to pass freely and it has the capacity to react to moisture by quickly absorbing or releasing the water.
• Linen can absorb a fair amount of moisture without feeling unpleasantly damp to the skin, unlike cotton.
• Linen is easy to take care of, since it resists dirt, has no lint or pilling tendency.
• Top quality flax is primarily grown in European countries.
Besides all those wonderful qualities, linen itself is just beautiful and mostly it will be purchased for its looks. Although the good quality linen is quite expensive, it’s really worth it!
There is no fabric on this world looking more natural than linen and I hope you agree with me on that!